Friday, April 3, 2015

Working with Prezi

Today I explored the functionality of Prezi, which I discovered is a particularly versatile presentation tool. They have a free package for educational purposes which is always a good thing, and so I logged in using my UCD email address.

The Pros:

  • There are templates available to do most of the visual groundwork, allowing the user to spend more time concentrating on the content. These templates are also customizable so you don't have the exact same design as someone else. In this case I used the "Papyrus" template with the "Autumn" theme.
  • It is very user friendly. Each frame has blank title and content fields ready. Sizes of anything can be adjust manually or by presets. There is a rotate option too which can be helpful.
  • YouTube videos can be embedded and played during presentation easily.
  • Images, symbols and shapes can also be added easily. The built in Google Image search option is particularly useful. There are also simple image editing options available too.
The Cons:
  • Correct me if I am wrong but I could not find the option for inserting diagrams, etc. If this function is there, it's not easy to find.
  • The simplified functions can be frustrating as undesired things can happen by clicking a mm or two off exactly where you're supposed too.
  • The text editor is not great either as it does not easily allow for Tab functions. Putting individual words or phase in bold or italic within a greater text body can also be troublesome.
All in all however I found it very useful and innovative. Have a look at the finished work below.

No comments:

Post a Comment