An idea with potential...
When we began our group projects we were to think of an information need and develop a concept to meet that need. While I'm happy with my group's concept, and development of that concept, I have come up with another idea since that I feel could have potential and might be worth exploring;
An IMDb for music...
IMDb is rich in information and reviews from user experiences, and in that way is somewhat immune to corporate spin. Different people in the film industry have their own pages with details of exactly what their role was in each production they were involved in. Some also have biographies, and in IMDb Pro some even share their agent contact details. Although IMDb doesn't actually contain full length films, it is still a frequently visited source for information about the world of movies.
Does something similar exist for music?
Allmusic.com appears to run something similar, however in my experience I find a few fautls with the website. While Allmusic allows for a rating out of five stars, I would find this quite limiting. It seems to place paramount importance on comparing an artists individual albums with each other rather than all albums in the website's database. Further to this, just like individual episodes in a TV series can be rated, I feel individual songs within albums should be rate-able too. With use over time the would be potential to develop charts similar to the IMDb top 250
No comments:
Post a Comment